- Cryptography is the most effective way to achieve data security and is essential to e-commerce activities such as online shopping, stock trading, and banking
- This invaluable introduction to the basics of encryption covers everything from the terminology used in the field to specific technologies to the pros and cons of different implementations
- Discusses specific technologies that incorporate cryptography in their design, such as authentication methods, wireless encryption, e-commerce, and smart cards
- Based entirely on real-world issues and situations, the material provides instructions for already available technologies that readers can put to work immediately
- Expert author Chey Cobb is retired from the NRO, where she held a Top Secret security clearance, instructed employees of the CIA and NSA on computer security and helped develop the computer security policies used by all
intelligence agencies U.S.
Part I: Crypto Basics & What You Really Need to Know.
Chapter 1: A Primer on Crypto Basics.
Chapter 2: Major League Algorithms.
Chapter 3: Deciding What You Really Need.
Chapter 4: Locks and Keys.
Part II: Public Key Infrastructure.
Chapter 5: The PKI Primer.
Chapter 6: PKI Bits and Pieces.
Chapter 7: All Keyed Up!
Part III: Putting Encryption Technologies to Work for You.
Chapter 8: Securing E-Mail from Prying Eyes.
Chapter 9: File and Storage Strategies.
Chapter 10: Authentication Systems.
Chapter 11: Secure E-Commerce.
Chapter 12: Virtual Private Network (VPN) Encryption.
Chapter 13: Wireless Encryption Basics.
Part IV: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 14: The Ten Best Encryption Web Sites.
Chapter 15: The Ten Most Commonly Misunderstood Encryption Terms.
Chapter 16: Cryptography Do’s and Don’ts.
Chapter 17: Ten Principles of “Cryptiquette”.
Chapter 18: Ten Very Useful Encryption Products.
Part V: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Cryptographic Attacks.
Appendix B: Glossary.
Appendix C: Encryption Export Controls.